Monday, August 19, 2013

Our Little Apartment

In July of 2011 Eric and I found out that an apartment was available for us at the University of Utah student housing. We were very excited. It was cheep and close the U. In August we made our first payment, got our keys and walked inside. I almost cried. The walls were cinder block, the carpet was pink, it was small, it smelled, there was no counter space in the kitchen, and I didn't even know an oven could be that small. It didn't feel or look like a home. I wasn't expecting to move into something super nice or extravagant, but I definitely wasn't expecting this either.

Eric and I walked out and immediately started talking about how after we were married we would start looking for a new place. Until then we would make the best of it. Eric scattered Dryer sheets around the apartment, and we brought in air fresheners to make it smell better. Luckily the smell was easy to get rid off. As we started moving in furniture it started to feel bigger. As we started to hang up pictures we noticed the cinder block less. Slowly it started to look and feel more like a home.

Well school started and life became busy (or never slowed down I'm not sure which) and we never started to look for a new place. Around year later (I think) I brought up how we wanted to find a new place. The weird thing was neither one of us wanted to move anymore. Our little apartment felt like home, but I think it was more than that. Our neighbors were amazing, and so was our ward. We started to realize that when the time did come for move it would be a lot harder than we originally thought, and I was right. We have now been in our apartment for almost two years and are so sad to say that we are moving.

It's not the we have grown fond of the pink carpet, the lack of storage, the lack of counter space, the small oven, or the cinder block. We are very excited to leave that behind us. We have grown found of our neighbors, and will sincerely miss them. We live in a place with lots of kids. When we come home from work there is always someone outside playing. The grills are constantly being used in the summer. If we are carrying groceries there is always someone asking us if we need help. It has been so nice to be surrounded by people in the exact same situation as us. In the past its always been hard to watch others move out, but you knew that were moving on with there lives and we were always slightly jealous. Now its our turn I guess and I find myself wishing that we could just take everyone else with us. I wish that we could have the best of both worlds, but I know we are just moving on to a new adventure and we will meet many new amazing people and make new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment