Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Beliefs

For a very long time I left uncomfortable posting about my beliefs. I thought that if someone wanted to know that they would just ask. I never wanted to make anyone feel like I was shoving my beliefs in their face. I thought that I could be an example just by living my life the way that I was taught and that everyone would know that I was a good person. Its kind of hard to describe.

I've discovered that, in a way, this kind of thinking was wrong. Just like saying I go to the University of Utah doesn't offend anyone (or shouldn't), saying I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (a Mormon) shouldn't offend anyone either. I still belief that how I live my life can be an example to others and a reflection of my beliefs, but I also think that I shouldn't be afraid to simply say what I believe.

Recently I have felt the need to let everyone I know what I believe in. I know not everyone will agree with my beliefs and that is alright. I hope to do this in a way that is respectful and pray that I won't offend anyone. If I do offend you I am truly sorry.

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I believe that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint is the one true church on the earth today. I believe that I was sent here by a loving Heavenly Father to gain a body and to be tested. I believe that Jesus Christ is my savior. He died for me, so that I may become clean and one day return to live with him and my Heavenly Father. I know that Christ not only died for me but for every single person who has lived, is living, and will live. I know that through the atonement I can receive forgiveness form my sins, and comfort in my times of need. I know that because of the atonement Christ knows exactly what I'm going through.

I believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet who received revelation from the Lord. I believe that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared and talked to Joseph Smith as an answer to his prayer. I believe that he translated the Book of Mormon. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I believe that Joseph Smith restored the gospel of Christ to the earth. I believe that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet. I believe that receives revelation from the Lord. I know that the prophets give us advice, counsel, warnings, and commandments for our day. I know that the teaching the come from the prophets are the teachings of the Lord. I strive to keep the commandments of the Lord as best as I can. I know that I am not perfect, but I do my best to do what I believe is right.

I know that Joseph Smith restored the priesthood to the earth. I know that priesthood is the authority of God on the earth and should be treated with reverence and respect.

I believe that, through the sacred sealing powers of the priesthood, families can be together for eternity. I am grateful that I can live with my family, my husband (and future children) forever. I believe that marriage is between one man and one woman.

I love being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I know that it is true. I am so excited to for general conference this weekend. I'm excited to hear the words and counsel of the prophets, apostles and general authorities. I know that the words and counsel that they will give are directly from our Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment